Rules

We are casual players who play to have fun. The point of a clan is so that we can socialize and help each other out with troop donations.
We reward those who help out and donate, and we kick those that only take up space. This set of rules aim to help us build a collegial, fun clan.
  1. Minimum troop requirement for entry is level 5 archers.
  2. Default troops: wizards, dragons, minions, and archers. Do not request levels unless for war.
  3. Donation will be monitored periodically, and reviewed against how active the player is in clan.
  4. We WAR hard, and those who can't keep up can take a break in our rest/farm clan "Farmers of Zero"
  5. Failure to follow WAR RULES may result in kicking.

Friday, May 10, 2013

History of [Divide by Zero]

I started playing Clash of Clans in February 2013, after clicking on an in-app ad out of frustration because it was annoying me when I played other games, and I thought clicking it will cost them money. I was surprised by thousands of positive reviews, so I installed the app out of curiosity.
And I was hooked since.
I first joined a clan called [Vancouver BC], but the members weren't very friendly. I switched to a [BC] clan with Harvmister, a real life friend who got into CoC because of me, and found a great group of high donators. Unfortunately the leader was very marginally involved, and no donation rules were enforced.
Brian, who was the most active elder in the BC clan, promoted Harv and I within 4 days of our joining because of our high donation count (500+). We became friends quickly.
After another week in BC, I became fed up with elders who don't donate anything and the leader not doing anything about it. As elders, Brian can only kick members who don't donate. So on April 21, I took a risk and called for mutiny: starting our own clan with the top donators.
The first night was unbearable. I was all alone in my clan [Divide by Zero], not sure whether anyone will actually come over. I sent Harvmister a text that night, asking him to point people to my new clan and stay there in case I have to go back to BC in defeat and embarrassment.
The next morning, I woke up and was still alone. The empty clan list and chat was hollowing. There was no one to request troops from, and no one to donate troops to. But soon things started happening. Brian and about 3-4 other elders came over and our chat came alive.
Over the next two days, we grew to 7/50 members and stayed there for a while. 7 of the most friendly donators make a better clan than a full one with selfish members. We could keep our castles full most of the time. Harv went back to BC to recruit a few times, and we went through a difficult phase of recruiting from global chat.
And then magic happened. I don't know the algorithm behind this, but our clan appeared on the default "Join Clan" list, and we exploded to 45/50 member overnight on April 25, 4 days after starting the clan. Maybe it's because of our good donation stats (each of the founding members donated hundreds of troops, and I donated 1000/wk).
So our mentality switched from indiscriminate growth to selecting good donators and friendly players. We held our first weekly Sunday Elders Meeting on April 28, and drafted a set of clan rules. By our next meeting, we switched to Invite-Only.
On May 10, 2013, our mentor and the "LAW" of our clan, Brian, decided to leave our clan collegially and move onto a bigger pond. I raised an American flag and a bunch of flower in his memory.

There have been discussions around being harsh kickers vs. kind mentors, and the goal of our clan. We've designed the clan to enrich our casual gaming experience, with high emphasis on donating good quality troops. We will continue to reward those contributing to the clan, and ding those who don't.

Stay classy, and clash on!

No comments:

Post a Comment